Enhance Your Knowledge About Home Information Packs (HIPs)
If you are a landlord and wish to market your residential property in England or Wales, you must provide Home Information Pack (HIP). Our Insurance partners can help you get HIP at a favourable price. Our Domestic Energy Assessors are accredited to the highest standard. You can avail HIP at competitive prices, operate quickly and efficiently. They offer a flexible out of hours and weekend service too. All the necessary Government approvals will be provided to you. An electronic PDF version will be emailed to you and you will be supplied within 3-4 working days.
HIP includes two types of documentation:
- Compulsory information - such as the Sale Statement, Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ), Evidence of Title and Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), sustainability information (required for newly built homes), sale statement and standard searches (local authority, drainage and water). For leasehold properties, a copy of the lease must also be included.
- Optional information - such as the legal summary, home use/contents form, specialised search reports (e.g. a mining search) and the Home Condition Report, a legal report on the physical condition of the property that brings to light any problems which will incur repair costs.
Home information pack property can help you immensely if you are a landlord. If any of the compulsory information is missing, a document called the Home Information Pack Index will explain the valid reasons why. The legal requirement is that it must contain all of the compulsory items and certain documents were no more than three months old when the property was first marketed for sale.
However, there are some exclusions to it:
- properties that are limited by law to use as holiday accommodation for occupation for less than 11 months per year
- properties where there is no marketing (e.g. selling to a member of your family)
- non-residential properties
- mixed sales (e.g. shop with flat)
- right to buy and similar sales
- sales of portfolios of properties
- unsafe properties and properties to be demolished
You can request for a Home Information Pack if you have not been given one.
Moreover, you can also make a copy of the HIP available to potential buyers if you are the seller, including the Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ).